GP and Clinicians
We accept referrals for patients for investigations for sub fertility into our reproductive medicine clinic or directly into the Assisted conception unit if it is clear they need IVF. Referrers are requested to complete a fertility referral form proforma. Once received these are vetted by our senior doctors.
We offer a full range of treatments from Ovulation Induction to IVF and ICSI.
When referring a patient please provide the following:
- Woman’s name, DOB and address
- Woman’s BMI
- Partner’s name, DOB and address
- Does the woman have regular cycles
- Length of time trying to concieve
- Known fertility problems
- FSH/LH OR AMH blood to be taken between day two and five of the menstrual cycle
- Rubelle Status
- Haemoglobin and electrophoresis (where appropriate)
- Semen Analysis (if available)
- Pevlice Ultrasound scan report (if completed)
We require an outline of the fertility problems and complete investigations on both partners complete we would like hard copies of the results included in the referral.
Once the referral is received the patients will be offered an appointment within 2-3 weeks.
Additional investigations such as HSG/HYCOSY karyotype will be requested and completed within 6 weeks.
If IVF is indicated and the patient is eligible for funding they will be offered an appointment in the ACU. There is no wait to commence IVF provided that patient is medically appropriate.
We also offer treatment on a self-funding or personalised care basis to those the do not fulfil the CGG eligibility criteria for NHS funded treatment.
All referrals will also be checked for eligibility criteria for NHS funding in line with the patient’s Clinical Commissioning Group. The criteria vary and you must confirm with your CCG, as there are differences in number of cycles funded.
An example of the criteria is displayed below:
- Age- Between 23-40 (some CCGs up to 43)
- Number of Cycles 1-3
- Female Partner BMI: <30
- No previous sterilisation of either partner
- Both partners non-smoking
- If a clear diagnosis there is no time delay however for unexplained infertility time of trying can vary from 1-3 years dependant on CCG
- Duration of unexplained fertility 1-3 years OR diagnosed male/female factor infertility.
- No existing children in current relationship (most will not fund if either partner has children from a previous relationship also)
- Some CCGs also have specific hormone criteria.
- Number of previous NHS and Private Cycles are also taken into account.
Please contact your local clinical commissioning team for the full policy or for advice please contact our referral specialists via email NewReferralsACU@gstt.nhs.uk or 02071882300