At The Westminster Maternity Suite in London we offer a range of birthing options tailored to our patients’ requirement. Our team of private consultants will go through the different options with you. The options we offer range from a natural delivery, with or without an epidural, through to a caesarean section.
Normal birth is a vaginal birth that takes place naturally.
With the help of your private maternity consultant and individual private midwife, they will look help you to achieve a normal birth. You will have a choice of pain relief, including an epidrual.
An assisted birth is when you may need additional support through your labour if you are pushing well during the birthing stage, but the baby is making slow progress.
This is a surgical operation where your baby is born through an incision in the abdominal wall. The incision is usually along the top of the pubic hairline, so the scar is hidden when healed. It is always performed in an operating theatre, and the midwife, obstetrician and anaesthetist will be with you at all times.
For all types of birth you will always have a midwife, your consultant with you and your birthing partner. Your obstetrician will deliver your baby and an anaesthetist will be available should you require any additional pain relief.
All the team will be there to help you have your baby safely. Once your baby is born, you can usually see and hold your baby almost straight away.
For all types of birth:
- You will always have a private consultant and private midwife with you
- You will always have discussions with your consultant and midwife, so that you understand what is happening
- You will be able to see and hold your baby straight away, unless there is a concern for either you or your baby
- You will be able to have ‘skin to skin’ contact and breastfeed your baby immediately unless there are any concerns. We have a team of very
- experienced and dedicated obstetric consultants that are all independent practitioners. They all work in the hospital full-time, either undertaking NHS or private work. Your chosen obstetrician will support you throughout your pregnancy and you will be able contact them directly if you have any concerns about any aspect of your care. Your obstetrician will arrange your hospital booking and offer an informed choice on all your birthing options.